Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Wellness Wednesday: Womanhood is OVARrated!

I missed my Wellness Wednesday post last week because I received some pretty disturbing news. Soon as I saw my Doctor's name come across my phone, I knew it wasn't good news. They never call when it is good news. Everything she said was gibberish, except for we need to see you right away.

A thousand and one different thoughts raced through my head. The fortunate news was they didn't suspect anything malignant. The not so fortunate news was surgery. They first think I thought of was womanhood is so ovarrated (pun intended). The first menstrual cycle, cramps, bloating, hormones, etc over it. I would be having my third gynecological surgical procedure.

Yesterday, my doctor performed a unilateral laparoscopic sapingo oophorectomy, ovarian cystectomy, and uterine stent placement. In layman's terms, she removed the 12cm cyst (about the size of a cantaloupe), and removed my right ovary and fallopian tube. Additionally, a stent was temporarily put in but taken out before stitching me up.


I'm home in bed recovering, and have my first post-op appointment on Monday. Of course I'm sore, but probably more so mentally than physically. Only time will tell what will happen over the next several weeks. I've done a tone of research and of course have picked my doctor's brain with lots of questions. Again time will be of the essence. I feel like a part of me, a part of my womanhood has been ripped away. Literally and figuratively. There's no guarantees on side effects quite yet. While research and physical suggest one does the work of two, I'm not sure how my body will adjust. Hormone imbalance can come with it's own laundry list of problems.


I'm worried about early menopause. Not to mention the remaining side has two small cysts that my doctor will have to monitor. I've survived a previous ovarian cyst removal, tubal ligation, two full term vaginal deliveries, and now this. I feel for me. I feel for the millions of women who have suffered PCOS, endometriosis, and ovarian cancer. Our ovaries play an such essential role in who we are as women. Right now I'm not feeling to womanly.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment