Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Why There Won't Be an Elf on My Shelf

Tis the season! I had an amazing Thanksgiving with my family, and the day after we carried on a tradition from my childhood of trimming the tree. My kids absolutely love this time of the year, and so do I. I especially enjoying carrying on traditions (some I've remixed) and of course creating new memories.

This year is exciting as this is the first Christmas with Blue- our Beagle puppy. Also, the first year both kids made their entire wishlist. Now I had to get them to read it to me a few times because everything was misspelled, but I love it!

Besides the music, decorations, spending time with distance relatives, and giving to others one of the things I enjoy most about this time of year, is seeing how others celebrate the holidays. Thanks to social media, I can do it from almost anywhere. So while I'm surfing last night and liking many pics and posts of holiday fun, I noticed quite a few posts on the Elf on a Shelf craze.

I'm probably one of the few who has been against it, since the madness started a few years ago. I personally think it's a clever marketing tool. Like c'mon seriously an Elf on a Shelf- you've got to be kidding me. I think there a numerous ways you can enjoy this time of year without such a gimmick. My kids are no angels. They're like any other four and six year old- beaming with energy. I don't need this gimmick to ploy my kids into behaving nicely as a reward for Santa bringing gifts. Some will say it's fun and creative. I personally feel like it's more for the parents then the kids. Not to mention just a waste of time and money.

My youngest did ask about it last week. I'm sure she's seen the commercials and may even have friends from school that boasts about it. I politely  told her there wouldn't be and Elf on our Shelf. She didn't ask any further questions. She talked about donating her old toys, and wanting to have a yard sale.

My husband and I teach our children about working hard all throughout the year. They are taught that nothing is free, and you have to earn everything. They have weekly chores and are expected to be well- behaved most of the time. I'm not one for going over the top for Christmas. We discuss the biblical reason behind the season and treating people nice. If you do those things and work hard in school you'll be rewarded. Plain and simple.

So whether there's an Elf on your Shelf or not, happy holidays to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment