Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wellness Wednesday: Insecurities of Being a Slow Runner

Top of the morning. It's a new day, a new month, and time for a new wellness Wednesday. I'm shying away from the #gowellnessday link up to share something that's near and dear to my heart.

So the past few days, I've skipped my morning group runs. I used the excuses that I was tired, or it was the weather, or I over slept. Truth is I didn't lace up because of my insecurities with running. 

You know that little voice in your head says "hey what are you doing you don't look like a runner." You're  to slow to be a runner. You don't have even have standing run friends nonetheless everyone else is training for marathons what are you doing?!
Well today I told that voice to shuff it. That's right I let her have it.

Yes I still don't have the body of runner, and probably never will. My 13-14 minute miles keep me at the back of the pack, but a mile is still a mile. 

Running like life has many ups and downs, and I don't means hills and downhills. There will be good days and bad days. Good runs and bad runs. Not running won't make me a better runner, but giving up will. So today, I'm proud of myself, and all I have accomplished.
Be Well,

LaToya 

4 comments:

  1. I can totally relate being a back of the pack runner myself. I even stop group marathon training last summer because of my insecurities. I paid a lot of money for that training too! Definitely need to shh the voice in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy, it's always reassuring when you have someone you can relate too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LaToya, I can definitely relate. I'm glad you recognized you needed to shut her down and keep moving forward. This is an excellent NSV!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is true, i didn't even look at it as a non scale victory.

    ReplyDelete