Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Love Run 13.1: A Look Back

Just because it's flashback Friday, and I know some folks are gearing up to run the Love Run Half Marathon, why not take a trip back down memory lane.

A year ago this same weekend, I was headed to the "City of Brotherly Love" to run this inaugural race. My training started New Year's Day, and this would be my first qualifying race in order for me to become a Half-Fanactic. It was also my second half marathon overall.
The day before I met up with my run buddies, to carpool and make the two hour drive to Philadelphia. Who doesn't love a great road trip? There were lots of laughs, girl talk, and of course run chat. Once we arrived in the city, it was raining pretty steadily and we headed straight to Packet Pick-Up. More laughs, girl talk, selfies, mingling and shopping. Next we settled into the Hotel, and later dined at a local restaurant (pretty much whatever was in walking distance).

Race Day: 
The girls and I woke up early enough so all seven of us could get up and out, and to the race within a decent amount of time. Following the crowd or other runners staying at the same hotel, we walked about two miles to the start of race. Did I mention that steady rain from the night before was still at it.


Before heading to our corrals, we took more pics, danced to the music, hit the port-o-potties, and huddled together as the temps were starting to drop. Soon as I hit my corral, I said a quick prayer and remember hyping myself up about the race. Then it was SHOW TIME!!


The Course:
I honestly don't remember too much about it. My mind was lost in the rain that had transitioned into a steady down pour somewhere around the half-way point, and just how God awful cold it was. Nonetheless, I kept at it. The high-fives and encouraging cheers from other runners, were certainly an adrenaline rush.

By mile 12, I was worn out and had mentally checked out of the race. Almost everyone around me had started walking at this point, and I remember falling suit. As I inched closer and closer to the finish line, I could see some of my run buddies faces and hear their cheers. The DJ began calling out names and times as other runners were crossing the finish line, and that gave me a much needed push. I grabbed the hand of my friend Chris, and we literally dragged each other the rest of the way. It wasn't a PR, but I finished.


Post Race: 
By now the Love Run was more like a Mud Run. Puddles of mud were everywhere. Some people (better them than me), had opted to take off there shoes. The DJ was still rockin'. The line for refreshments and gear check was so horrible, volunteers donned in ponchos of course, were telling finishers to just stay put, and they had formed a little assembly line so get everyone what else they needed.

Once everyone reunited, we hauled two cabs and headed back to the hotel.  I haven't had many cab rides, but that was definitely a memorable one. There was no way we were getting separated, or waiting any longer in that pouring rain. So me the shortest of the group, ended up front passenger on my girlfriend's lap. LOL! All I could think of was Dear Lord, please let us make it back to the hotel without my head hitting the front of this windshield.

It was then back to the hotel for warm showers and fresh clothes. What's a trip to Philly without a cheesesteak. Next stop was lunch at Ishkibbles, before making our way back to Baltimore.

Overall:
I absolutely loved the Philadelphia Love Run Half Marathon. Would I do it again? Definitely! I'm not hard to please. It was fairly local. I loved the swag (tech shirt, coffee mug, custom bib, and huge medal), and of there's nothing like running with cool peeps.

Best wishes to everyone running this race this weekend.

Be Well,

LaToya

No comments:

Post a Comment