Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Wellness Wednesday: Results NOT Excuses

Man oh man, it feels great to have something to write about for my weekly Wellness Wednesday post. So after some long contemplating yesterday, I've come to the realization that it's time for me to focus on results, and not excuses. As a matter of fact, I'm a day late and a dollar short with the aforementioned and the time is NOW.

For the past two plus years I have had excuse after excuse. All of this started soon after I found out I was expecting my second child. I have two beautiful children who are currently 4 and 2 years old (they're 17 months apart). A few weeks before my oldest child's first birthday, I got the unexpected news that another little bundle of joy was on its way. Shortly there after, I was forced to resign from my job. Both of these events were the beginning of lots of emotional eating and ultimately depression.



Fast forward to present day…..I'm employed part-time at a 24-hour gym and still struggling with returning to my pre-baby weight/ size. Amongst other things I have a laundry list of insecurities that all mostly relate to my weight. Being overweight affects my career, personal relationships, and my marriage. Thanks to regular exercise (and a somewhat decent diet) I've somehow managed to maintain my sanity. I'm also down 30 of the 55 pounds I gain from two pregnancies.

While many engage in physical activity for the physical benefits, as of late I workout now as a means to reduce stress. So where does this leave me? Well, like most folks I have good and bad days. For the most part, I'm happy with my life and truly enjoy being a "domestic badass". Yes, you read right. A "domestic baddass" is a self-described term I've come up to describe the multiple hats I wear throughout the day. For way too long, I've used this title as an excuse. Truth be told, the kids are always going to need me (in some shape or form), my house will never be squeaky clean, my husband well……you get my drift. I can no longer allow these amongst others as excuses to not be the best ME! While I constantly battling with the scale, it truly is more than that. At the end of the day, I need to push the excuses to the back burner, get results because my overall health and well-being is at stake.


Effective immediately I'm "chucking up the deuces" to the excuses, and here is how I plan to continue to strive for results. First, I know I really need to be less dependent on the scale. Although, I only weigh myself weekly, I still need less emphasis on that number. My biggest obstacle will be focusing on nutrition. Yes, I know what and how I should be eating, but that's not always the case. I'm currently taking a refresher course in nutrition, so I'm hoping this will help. I'll also continue to manage my caloric needs. I've been successful thus far, and down nine pounds.

Thanks for the read. Oh and before I go, by all means does this post not mean that I haven't achieved any results over the past two years, I'm just not where I thought I would be at this point.


1 comment: