Saturday, August 6, 2016

Road to Richmond Wk 8

I'm sure as hell glad this week ended on a high one, because it definitely did not start out that way. Sunday was brutal. I was pretty sore from the night before. Okay hella sore from my 8 mile long run, but was registered for a local 5k. Everything in me, really wanted to skip it. It was only 5 bucks. I got lost trying to find the park. My husband was playing in a softball tournament, and he really wanted me to support him. Oh and I just wasn't feeling it. Point blank period. I went anyway. It was definitely the smallest race I've even ran. Heck I think there's been more folks at a BGR! standing long run. With a 8:30 start time, it was hot and humid as hell, oh and it was hilly. Mentally and physically I just was not feeling it the entire 3.1 miles. Nonetheless I finished, but it was my worst race time EVER! 
That definitely f'ed my head. Monday was a rest day. No brainer there I could definitely use a day off. I had every intention of running Tuesday. I did not. Why a bunch of excuses. Wednesday I still really wanted nothing to do with running. I was seriously thinking the hell with this ish, and I'm quitting. I knew I had to do something. 
It wasn't a run, but I walked and did something. My plan was to get miles in Thursday and Friday, but that didn't happen. Again, I was really over it. I looked through my Twitter account, and remembered some advice from Hal Higdon. Something to the effect, that you will have bad runs/days/weeks but stay focused, and don't try to make up missed workouts. So I'm like alright Toy, you got this! My training plan called for 10 miles on Saturday. I met up with my run buddies at some ungodly hour, and we were off. Somehow I left my water and fuel in my car. Big no-no. Despite how horrible of a week I had, there was a tad bit of confidence like yeah I've breasted 10 miles before. Negative. The mental games started somewhere between miles 6-7. Probably bc it was 80% humidity, and I was thirsty as hell. I kept my usual mantra, I can, I believe, I will. It got me to 8.9. Logically I'm surprised I didn't crash sooner, and was impressed how far I had gone without anything. At this point the two 12/13ish mile girls were out of my sight, and as I looked behind I couldn't see the walkers either. I tried to push through. Like 2 miles...30 more minutes. My body gave out on me. My upper body felt horrible. I could tell my posture was comprised, and I immediately tried to tighten my core. Push through I told myself. Negative. I just couldn't run anymore. I felt even a tad bit nauseous. I started to walk. I walked until 9.5 and the "faster girls" we're waiting for me. I wanted to thank them, but I couldn't. They were being so encouraging. I walked some more. Turning off my Garmin and App at mile 10. There was another mile to my car. I left felt like dropping to my knees and crawling. My pace dropped some more. I had never been so excited to see my car. I gulped that Nuun water like it was nothing. Then we took plenty of selfies, and waited for the walkers. 

The struggle is REAL. I'm still in awe that I'm training for my first "m word". Yeah that's exactly what I call it. 

Weekly Total: 18 miles
Total Training Miles: 75.27


Be Well,
LaToya

No comments:

Post a Comment