Saturday, November 7, 2015

Trenton 10k Recap

Saturday I completed my 11th race. The Trenton 10k, and if I had to summarize this race in one word it would be epic.


Since I started my running journey three years ago, I've always registered for races that I've had some sort of personal connection with. This was no different. I'm a proud Jersey Girl, born and raised. Also having personally driven many of the roads on the course, it was kind of a no brainer.

The drive up from Baltimore County was definitely hectic. I dashed home from work, straight to pick up my son from school, then home to get my husband and daughter. Of course I was nervous about making it to the expo on time. Thankfully, traffic wasn't to bad. In a little under 3 hours and 2 hungry, cranky kids later I made it.
The expo which was held at the host hotel, featured numerous vendors, race organizers, and packet pickup. Since I was pressed for time, I quickly got my bib and left since my family was waiting in the car. That was definitely the least amount of time (and money) I've ever spent at a race expo.

After getting everyone settled, it was time for my race night rituals. Like many other runners, I have to lay everything out the night before. 
Staying at my mom's was convenient (and cost effecient), but I definitely didn't sleep well. It wasn't the first time I travelled out of town for a race, but the first with my family. I didn't get to bed until well after midnight, and needed to be up at six. 

Race day morning, I woke up got dressed and declined my mom's offer to drop me at the start line ( regretted that post race). Breakfast was half of a wheat sandwich thin with butter and jelly, and water. Luckily the start was about an 8 minute drive, but parking was a nightmare. 
I highly suggest paying for the VIP parking or getting there early (before 630 am) for street parking, otherwise you might be like me and be about a half mile away from Arm & Hammer stadium.

Once paring was secured, and I made my way to the stadium, it felt more like a reunion than a race. I saw family, friends, and run buddies from near and far.
I arrived with plenty of time for selfies and warm-ups before making my way to my staring corral. 
The half marathon and 10k begun together (a few minutes after 8am) exiting the stadium, and hitting the streets. Highlights of the 10k course included running through a tunnel,
across capital city's infamous Trenton Makes the World Takes bridge into Pennsylvania, 
through neighboring towns, and across the Calhoun St bridge back into New Jersey. 
I noticed more than a handful of folks terrified of running over the bridges. Meanwhile, I used the time to take in the scenery and grab a few pics of the streets I've driven on. 
Aside from two small inclines around miles 1 and 5, the course was mainly flat (even a few downhills). The home stretch was definitely my favorite (sorry no pics). 

As runners (from all the distances) made there way back to the stadium, music blasting, spectators cheering, you run the diamond of the Trenton Thunder (minor MLB team for the NY Yankees) baseball field. As you cross home plate, announcers called out each finishers name and location, while a video finished displayed on the Jumbotron. How cool is that?

From there I made my way to the Finisher's Festival for some much needed nourishment. Next was the team tents, for my second finisher's medal. 
The second medal was another one of this race's perks, as Black Girls RUN! registered over 900 ladies. 

More hugs and selfies, then it was that dreadful half mile walk back to my car. 
Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. So there you have it. This Jersey Girl, now living in Maryland conquered two states, two bridges, earned two medals, in one race. 

I tied my record in this distance (not bad for only two runs in the last four weeks ), rekindled my love of running, and reassured myself that this is definitely my favorite distance. 

Epic race folks, definitely will be back.

Be Well,

LaToya

1 comment:

  1. Great job! This sounds like a really cool race. Have you ever done the Run The Bridge 10k in Camden? This sounds so similar with the 2 states/closed down bridge stuff!

    ReplyDelete