Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Wellness Wednesday: Mommy Meltdown!

Happy Wellness Wednesday! It's a cool fall morning here in Charm City, and guess who's home today??? I got a call around 6ish this morning stating their was a huge leak in my daughter's preschool today, and the school would be closed today for repairs. While I'm thankful for the school to alerting me ASAP, and thankful to be spending a day with my "mini-me" it sort of saddens me that it's situations like this that stand in the way of me returning to work full-time.

Yesterday, I had a interview for a position as Chiropratic Assistant (CA). Things went very well. My undergraduate degree in Clinical Exercise Science has landed me opportunities to work in hospital and rehabilitation settings. I left on cloud nine, and excited about the very strong possibility of finally obtaining my state licensure while still generating some income. Reality quickly sat in on the drive to work. How will this work with my husband's schedule? Who will transport the kids back and forth to school? What about sick days, or inclement weather….the list goes on. Truth is this has been my reality for the past three years, and I have had to turn down numerous job offers because I'm always forced in the position to chose my children vs. career.

I can think of a laundry list of excuses, but none of that will help my situation. Some days it truly disheartens me that I cannot no longer work in my chosen field path. I take that back, I can ( as I am gratefully employed right now), things will just never be the same for me career wise. Most of the positions in the my field require me to work at least two nights during the week, and depending on the setting some would require weekend hours. No big deal unless you have a husband who works 12-16 hour days and two pre-school age children with no family in a close enough radius to help out.

So where does that leave me? Ranting on this blog I guess, and trying to remember everything truly happens for a reason. Thankfully I have my faith and am somewhat sane. I don't know if I'll ever come to terms with giving up my dreams to raise a family, but in the mean time it's day-by-day.
Special thanks for my husband for blessing me with these two beautiful bundles of joy, supporting me, and working around the clock to ensure our family has all our wants and needs.

Clearly I'm not the first (or the last) mother who has had to push her career to the back burner for the best interest of her family. If you are or know someone who has been in a similar situation, a few words of encouragement are greatly welcomed.

XOXO,


LaToya

p.s. I know, I know….no pic but get over it!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that tour career will be on the back buner for a little. But look at it this way. Jobs will be there, but your children are only young for a short period of time. Embrace and enjoy! -L

    ReplyDelete