Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Super Shred

Happy Wellness Wednesday! Today is Week 2, Day 2 since I started the Super Shred: The Big Results Plan. For those that are unfamiliar with Super Shred, this program was created by Dr. Ian Smith. I first discovered Dr. Ian in the early 2000's on VH1's Celebrity Fit Club. Currently he is featured on the The Doctors daytime talk/ reality show.

Super Shred is a four week meal plan that focuses on meal spacing, snacking, meal replacement, diet confusion, and living an active lifestyle. I purchased the online ibook via the App Store for $9.99. The book contains instructions for the meal plan, over 50 receipts for meals, and snacks, and information regarding physical activity. Super Shred is the the follow-up to Dr. Ian's Shred plan, and average weight loss for participants following the program is 20 pounds in 4 weeks. 



After losing 35 pounds of my baby weight, I've struggled to lost the remaining 30 pounds, and am looking to the program to better improve my eating habits. My weight loss goal is 30 pounds by my 30th birthday (November 1). Based on what I know professionally, and through reading the book, I am not expecting to lose the 20 pounds in 4 weeks since I have a smaller (compared to others) amount of weight to lose. I do however desire to lose 1-1.5 pounds each week.

First Week: 

The first week was an introduction to the program. Meals were spaced 3-4 hours apart, and snacks were 90 minutes apart. With a few exceptions, I followed the daily meal plan to a t. I began the week with shopping for the items the book said I would need for my meals the first week. I also stuck with the exercise regimen which included a minimum of three 40-minute cardio sessions.

The hardest day of the week 1, was day 4. Day 4 was "shredder day" also known by many as liquid meal day. It was hard not consuming solids mentally, but i prepared everything as outlined in the book.

Aside from the two 150-calories or less snacks, I had a protein shake, soup, and fresh juice for the day.


My total weight loss was only a 1/2 pound. Once again I did great during the week, then jumped ship on Saturday when my family went out to dinner.

Week 2: 
Right now I'm on the "accelerate" week. Timing and spacing of the meals this week are different that week 1. Below is the suggested timeline (you can alter the times)

  • 7:30 a.m. wake-up
  • 8:30 a.m. meal 1
  • 10:00 a.m. snack 1
  • 12:30 p.m. meal 2
  • 5:00 p.m. meal 3
  • 8:00 p.m. snack 2
Meal/ snack options vary day-to-day, but the aforementioned timing remains the same. As with the first week, a weekly grocery list was provided. You can only weigh yourself once a week (which I do anyway). One cup of water must be drunk before each meal/ snack, and program provides other tips such as meal substitutes and again regular physical activity. 

I'm hoping for better results than last week, but I know the ball is in my court. Anyone else like to share their review of Super Shred or any of Dr. Ian's programs? 


No comments:

Post a Comment